Re: [Gnumed-devel] Allergy manager dialog wishlist

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Allergy manager dialog wishlist
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 21:59:03 +0200

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 02:24:50PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> When updating the allergy state, the "confirm" button is actually a
> dual-purpose button:
>
> - when the user is not changing the state, they may be "confirming" that the
> information is correct
> - but when the user *is* changing the state, they are actually updating a
> stale-dated value
>
> So:
>
> 1) can I suggest the button instead be
>
>       Update / confirm

Done.

> 2) can I suggest to add a green check-mark to the button
> icon if that can be done without too much trouble,

Adding a bitmap to it is a lot more trouble than I feel like
getting into at this very moment.

> and to add a "Close" button to the right of the
> "Update/confirm" button?

Done.

> The reason is because when I first changed the value
>
>       Unknown --> No known allergies
>
> my eyes jumped to the bottom left "Save" button and I then
> was puzzled why the main window allergy status did not
> update. The fact that the bottom buttons do not relate to
> the top buttons (they only control the bottom potion) and
> yet the Close button which is inside the lower pane will
> close the whole window, are subtleties lost on the user.

Probably, yes. Except that said user probably won't
check/expect the main window allergy status to change until
the dialog is dismissed which happens by way of the [Close]
button which will, indeed, update the main window allergy
display. Nonetheless:

> Any kind of colour attached to the updated "Update /
> confirm" button will help to make the relationship more
> obvious. So will adding a close button next to "Update /
> confirm".

I bolded the "Update / Confirm". I tried a few greens on the
button label but they all look awful and make things hard to
read.

Both [Close] buttons do the same thing and show the same
tooltip.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de