Re: [Gnumed-devel] client v vs database v mismatch and write-protecting

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] client v vs database v mismatch and write-protecting old databases
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:59:40 +0200

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 04:33:22PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

>> The client checks at startup which database it connects to
>> against which database it wants to connect to. If that doesn't match it will
>> refuse to connect. Unless the user explicitely said they want to have a
>> choice
>> and then DID choose to ignore the warning.
>
> Up until now, I had been ignoring the following message at logon but I am
> wondering what is the proper way to deal with this, when setting up a
> production system?
>
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> GNUmed database version mismatch.
>
> This database version cannot be used with this client:
>
>  client version: 0.9.11
>  database version detected: unknown database schema version, MD5 hash is
> [50ea1c7b5d47da196d0a2bdedfa235da]
>  database version needed: v15
>
> Currently connected to database:
>
>  host: <localhost>
>  database: gnumed_v15
>  user: any-doc

In a production system you will typically not run with --debug.

In that case GNUmed will

        - not show backend definitions which do not have
          "gnumed_v<needed_for_this_client>" as the database name
        - will refuse to connect to databases which do not pass
          the database schema verification

In the above case you do have "gnumed_v15" which is needed
for client 0.9 but the schema verification phase does not
pass muster. This means that the database layout is broken.

Whoever does run with --debug in a production version and
encounters something like the above better know what they
do.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de