Re: [Gnumed-devel] web based client interface

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] web based client interface
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:09:34 +0100

On Thursday, January 19, 2012 09:39:38 AM address@hidden wrote:

> Hi

> Is it possible to access gnumed client through IE as you access web

> based systems.

> Regards

It is not. GNUmed python client is a so called fat client. On Linux it makes use of GTK (as in GNOME), on Windows it makes use of MSW.

A webbrowser cannot (is not designed to) access python-GTK but only _javascript_, HTML.

This means to have a(nother) GNUmed client running in a webbrowser a so called webclient needs to be written. This can be done in many ways and languages (Javascipt, python) and tookits.

Two attempts have been made in the past. A few years back someone produced a proof of concept client in JAVA. A year ago another attempt was made to produce a client via a toolkit named pyjamas (pyjs.org)

This pyjamas client was successful but not further developed simply because there is noone on our small team who has time for this.

See screenshots here:

http://gnumed.blogspot.com/2010/07/gnumed-web-client-demo-available.html

Future:

Now that GNUmed has obtained a new overview plugin (to be release with GNUmed 1.2) this webclient could finally be completed by adding this overview stuff to it. This would give GNUmed a fully working webclient with an overview plugin.

As it stands I don't see anyone on the small core team having time for this so this would have to be done by an external developer of by any new (future) member of the GNUmed community. I would estimate that it would take about 20 hours for an experienced coder to finish this. Given an hourly rate of $60 for an external developer I guess this can be outsourced for $1200.

Alternatives:

Have a look at nx from nomachine. The have software which can run a full application inside a webbrowser.

Regards,

Sebastian