Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Windows issues

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Windows issues
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:44:10 +0100

On Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:49:36 AM Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 01:12:25PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > Just had the pleasure to test GNUmed 1.1.10 on Windows 7.

> > Installation:

> > good: dob can be entered as -80J (for Jahre==years)

> That's locale sensitive.

> > bad: does not yet detect previous versions (anyone ?)

> Huh ?

The Windows installer (I did not code the detection of an already installed version)

> > bad: Windows conf file shows useless profiles (my bad)

> Only if you start with --debug.

I forgot to remove the profile in question.

> > bad: document archive plugin does not show documents (can't create dialog

> > using memory template ???)

> Same old SetItemPyData() bug for which I do not

> know the solution.

That is what I thought. Seems to work on some XP systems but not at all on Windows 7. If you know what triggers it could you please write a test case so I can potentially forward this upstream ?

> > bad: it does not start ginkgocad (mostl likey a path quoting issue, log

> > has been sent)

> path quoting, should be fixed

I have yet to try.

> > bad: in phrasewheel one still cannot select an option with Return-key but

> > rather mouse based double click (major suckage)

> I have no idea.

> > bad: arriba is offered as a tool even though it is not

> > installed. since they don't provide just a binary one has to

> > frop it into a folder which is in PATH to make it start

> Suggestions ?

Grey it out unless it is detected for a start.

> > bad: re medication: pressing Rx brings up a dialog to

> > choose databases from. selecting FreeDiams is accepted.

> > However since it is not installed it will not be started.

> > installing it does not bring it up either. configuring the

> > path to freediams from inside GNUmed does not help either

> This is not yet supported. Put it in the PATH.

Can we reflect the unsupported state (Windows only ?) somehow. It is confusing to have the option while it does not seem to do anything (I might have missed tooltips). Remove the configuration option from the GNUmed UI ?

> > (why is this not possible for e.g. Ginkgo-CADx

> Because FreeDiams is called via an explicit driver while

> Ginkgo CADx is not.

No problem for/with Ginkgo-Cadx. Just confusing in case of FreeDiams.

> Put it in the PATH (even if just for running GNUmed).

Sure.

> > or removed for Freediams for

> > consistency ?). restarting GNUmed

> > actually seems to pick up the change but cannot start it

> > ( most likey a path quoting issue, log mailed)

> Path quoting, should be fixed.

Will try this out.

Sebastian