Re: [Gnumed-devel] presenting GNUmed to newcomers

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] presenting GNUmed to newcomers
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 20:26:59 +0200

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 06:14:44 PM Busser, Jim wrote:
> On 2012-05-02, at 10:27 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > I was asked to provide demonstrational material that
> >
> > a) does not require the interested person to install GNUmed
> > b) does not require the interested person to install some viewer (e.g.
> > VMplayer)
> > c) runs without installation, preferably on Windows
> > d) is not a video
> > e) is not a e.g. Powerpoint presentation
> > f) runs on a Mac and Windows
> > g) can be run/demonstrated in non-internet settings
>
> This isn;t clear enough. What is wanted...
>
> (a) a fully-interactive GNUmed, or

the above.

> (b) one or more examples of GNUmed running?

not if it involves pre-recording.

> What next is meant by "no installation"? I suppose if we deliver to people a
> Windows computer pre-loaded with GNUmed, then they could have a
> demonstration without needing to install anything. The only other option
> here, short of a live DVD, would be for the possibly-interested to be able
> to remotely access and control (i.e. run a session on) such a pre-loaded
> computer.
>
> There is a term for remotely-controllable computers, I believe it is
> "zombies". It is possible to provide managed, remote logon to such
> computers, I only don't know the acceptability of the performance or how we
> would want to go about providing the computers and the access.

Perfomance over DSL-line could be acceptable. Since they did not want anything
internet-dependent this is out.

If anyone seriously wants to have a look they will install it. If they cannot
install it they will watch movies. If they are desperate they will get someone
to install it.

> Otherwise, we are talking only examples of GNUmed running. if a "movie" is
> out, then perhaps "mimi-movies".

I am not Merlin. I am not aware of any software that is presented the way that
is outlined above. We would be ahead of the curve if we would supply Wubi-
based media (e.g. thumbdrives). For Macs I have no idea. The client would be
straightforward. The server part not so I think. This is no sqlite server
after all.

Sebastian