[Gnumed-devel] postgresql considerations

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql considerations
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:19:54 +0200

Hi all,

I know there are some database experts on this list. I was wondering what
influences GNUmed's performance with regards to database performance most.

When running GNUmed over slow wires such as 1MBit DSL line it takes long to
get the data out of the database. I would assume that line latency internet
vs. local network adds up for each roundtrip.

Is there anything to counter this ? I would assume a 1MBit LAN would still
perfom better then a 1MBit WAN (internet) ?

Second questions deals with harddrive performance. I noticed that when running
Postgresql off an USB thumbdrive that its performance is far worse then an old
harddrive. I know that USB thumbdrives have poor i/o performance. Is there
anything to counter this (e.g. getting large chunks of data in one go) ?

Any explaination is appreciated.

Sebastian