[Gnumed-devel] Comparing postgres.conf 9.3 (working GNUmed) vs 9.4 (defa

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Comparing postgres.conf 9.3 (working GNUmed) vs 9.4 (default)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 01:54:45 +0000

This posting summarizes some of the differences between postgres.conf files,
comparing

- what I have been using with GNUmed under Mac OS and X11 as obtained from
Enterprise DB (postgresql 9.3) perhaps modified by myself

        location = /Library/PostgreSQL/9.3/data/

as compared to

- what I found in what was installed in my Debian wheezy VM when I installed
postgres 9.4

        location =  /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.conf

====================================

For each difference in postgres.conf cited below, the sequence is

        my 9.3

        default 9.4

I went to this trouble because it will benefit me and maybe others to figure
out of how most users should want (under 9.4) to modify the conf file and
perhaps also necessarily the hba and ident files.

Note that I have omitted from this sort-of-diff those differences where the
lines were commented out in BOTH files.

-- Jim

====================================

Line 30

        # h = hours

        # TB = terabytes h = hours

Line 41

        #data_directory = 'ConfigDir'    # use data in another directory

        data_directory = '/var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main'  # use data in another
directory

Line 43

        #hba_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf'     # host-based authentication
file

        hba_file = '/etc/postgresql/9.4/main/pg_hba.conf'       # host-based
authentication file

Line 45

        #ident_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_ident.conf' # ident configuration file

        ident_file = '/etc/postgresql/9.4/main/pg_ident.conf'   # ident
configuration file

Line 49

        #external_pid_file = ''  # write an extra PID file

        external_pid_file = '/var/run/postgresql/9.4-main.pid'   # write an
extra PID file

Line 59

        listen_addresses = '*'   # what IP address(es) to listen on;

        #listen_addresses = 'localhost'  # what IP address(es) to listen on;

Line 62 (we know the port for my VM is because 5432 was already busy)

        port = 5432      # (change requires restart)

        port = 5433      # (change requires restart)

Line 68

        #unix_socket_directories = '/tmp'       # comma-separated list of
directories

        unix_socket_directories = '/var/run/postgresql' # comma-separated list
of directories

Line 81-82

        #ssl = off       # (change requires restart)

        #ssl_ciphers = 'DEFAULT:!LOW:!EXP:!MD5:@STRENGTH'       # allowed SSL
ciphers

Line 84, 85 (new lines in 9.4)

        (not present in 9.3)

        #ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = on  # (change requires restart)
        #ssl_ecdh_curve = 'prime256v1'   # (change requires restart)

Line 87, 88

        #ssl_cert_file = 'server.crt'    # (change requires restart)
        #ssl_key_file = 'server.key'     # (change requires restart)

        ssl_cert_file = '/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem'   # (change
requires restart)
        ssl_key_file = '/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key'  # (change
requires restart)

Line 94

        # Kerberos and GSSAPI
        # GSSAPI using Kerberos

Line 96 (9.3)

        #krb_srvname = 'postgres'        # (Kerberos only)

        (removed from 9.4)

Line  117, 118 (new lines in 9.4 before 116 in old)

        #huge_pages = try        # on, off, or try
        # (change requires restart)

Line 130, 136 (new lines in 9.4 before 116 in old)

        dynamic_shared_memory_type = posix      # the default is the first
option
        # supported by the operating system:
        # posix
        # sysv
        # windows
        # mmap
        # use none to disable dynamic shared memory

Line 298 vs 315

        log_destination = 'stderr'       # Valid values are combinations of

        #log_destination = 'stderr'      # Valid values are combinations of

Line 304 vs 321

        logging_collector = on   # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

        #logging_collector = off         # Enable capturing of stderr and
csvlog

Line 421 vs 438

        log_timezone = 'Canada/Pacific'

        log_timezone = 'localtime'

Line 436 vs 453

        #stats_temp_directory = 'pg_stat_tmp'

        stats_temp_directory = '/var/run/postgresql/9.4-main.pg_stat_tmp'

Line 503 vs 525

        timezone = 'Canada/Pacific'

        timezone = 'localtime'

-- Jim