gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Test the pre-release?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:08:54 +0100

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 11:59:51AM -0400, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 03:16:31PM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
> >   Perhaps rename the 3.0 pre-release to 2.9.9 and make a 3.0 codebase
> >  from scratch using SQLite + HTML::Template, etc?
>
> I'd keep it simpler, actually.  Migrate to SQLite first, make that v3.0.

  The migration to sqllite would be fairly simple, agreed.

> Then, do the HTML::Template thing, and call it v3.1.  Or the other way
> around, perhaps?  Either way, don't rewrite from scratch... unless..

  However that is a significant change.

  Part of that is because HTML is *everywhere* in the code and there
 are a lot of routines which could be written better.  Even the core
 of the program writing the core HTTP loop, etc, really shouldn't be
 there.

  Plus I know all the prototypes are bogus...

  I could switch to the SQLite immediately, but I'd want to redo
 things properly from the core outwards, via some HTTP module and
 that really suggests a rewrite more than a reworking.

> ...I'd personally like gnump3d to become a mod_perl application; that
> way we can let apache handle authentication, access control, TLS/SSL,
> and other things like that, and focus on the music side of things.
> Needless to say, that would require a "rewrite from scratch" approach.

  Making it be a CGI script would be fairly simple, but then you might
 be better using something like mod_mp3...

Steve