Re: [GNUnet-developers] caching proxy type data storage

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] caching proxy type data storage
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:00:41 +1000

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:50:56 -0500
"Christian Grothoff" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Saturday 22 June 2002 07:31 am, Igor Wronsky wrote:
> > > GNUnet faces similar problems in storing data as a caching proxy
> > > Last time i looked squid gave a choive of 3 different file systems
> > > to store the data it retrieved, maybe GNUnet could get some ideas
> > > from them, im sure they have reasons for not using a traditional
> > > database.
> >
> > Using 'traditional' database with gnunetd might be better choice
> > in this case because data is always constant size <key,pair>
> > elements. Or so I've understood. I don't think web cache
> > data has such property naturally.
>
> Well, it is 99% where the value is 1k, but it can also be a multiple of
> 1k. The key is always a 20 byte hashcode, which is to my dismay stored
> in ASCII in the gdbm database (blowing it up to 41 bytes); I once tried
> to store it as binary, but then gdbm stopped working. But yes, in
> general, we have very uniform content.

I think i missunderstood where the data was stored.

The ~/gnunet/data directory really contains metadata,
~/gnunet/data/content.gdb only stores key-pairs.

~/gnunet/database actually stores the (indexed) files that are shared.

It is this database file i was thinking should not be a gdb databse, and
its not by the looks of it.

Glenn