[GNUnet-developers] End-user wishlist

From: anonymous1
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] End-user wishlist
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:46:55 -0500

This has been a quiet mailing list recently... maybe that has something to do
with the fact that my GNUnet node is up and running stably for several days,
doing what it's supposed to do, so there's nothing to complain about? Kudos to
the bug-fixers. GNUnet's shaping up nicely.

It must be a sign of legitimacy (for a very one-sided definition of legitimacy)
that the new Harry Potter book was available on GNUnet less than 24 hours after
its release. Now I'm dreaming about cool new features that I'd like to see
built into and atop GNUnet, now that it's running stably on my machine:

* A URL scheme for shared files, so they can be linked to from within hypertext
documents

* A hypertext browser that makes use of GNUnet for transport and the above URL
scheme (Please, no HTML though. This project is all about reinvention for
robustness and learning from mistakes of the past--there's no good reason why
one shouldn't abandon the cruft of the browser wars and embrace
XML/XLink/XForms -> XSLT -> display.)

* How's the namespace proposal coming? Has it reached concensus among
developers yet? This one's still pretty "blue-sky" from an end-user
perspective, but once GNUnet grows a bit, it will be critical for weeding out
quality content from the spam and floody subversion attempts.

* Working chat facility! I've tried to get some folks to help me test it, but I
understand the current chat tool is proof-of-concept only (and poor proof at
that, since I've never seen it work). Anonymous chat would be perfect for
discussing content found on GNUnet, sharing tastes, etc.

* Native front-end GUI tools for KDE, curses, other platforms, and a bit of
design & improvement on the GTK+ frontend... for growing the user base, to
include those who are scared of learning new interfaces.

Please don't take this list as a list of demands. I like GNUnet and evangelize
it happily; I'm just voicing my dreams in hopes that some bored programmer will
find them inspiring.

Thanks again!