RE: [GNUnet-developers] slocate

From: jan marco alkema
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] slocate
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:03:36 +0200

Hello Krista,

> This was a rather amusing reference to the nature of your posts, which
has, as you'll recall, often been the subject of some discussion on the
list.

Maybe I have a different opinion about sharing things --)

In my point of view: If you want to spread a system like gnunet with "end
users" then you should use well known "drivers" for end-users in the Gnunet
application like ftp, wget, locate, etc.
Maybe Redhat changes vsftpd to gnunet!

If I look to http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/download/pet/mgp00003.jpg I think
that a database interface is a very good extension in the gnunet framework.

For example. You have the copy right protected telephone information. The
telephone database servers must be anonymous. The query must be put on the
network. The anwser on the query must come anonymous to the client.

mysql> select * from subscriber where phonenumber = '08000501';
+--------------+-------------------------------------+-----------+-------+--
-----+----------+------------+---------------------+-------------+----------
------------+-----------+------------+-----------+----------+---------------
---+-------------+
| RecordNumber | Lastname                            | Firstname | Infix |
Title | Initials | Streetname | StreetnameExtension | HouseNumber |
HouseNumberExtension | Residence | PostalCode | Townname  | AreaCode |
SubscriberNumber | PhoneNumber |
+--------------+-------------------------------------+-----------+-------+--
-----+----------+------------+---------------------+-------------+----------
------------+-----------+------------+-----------+----------+---------------
---+-------------+
|       374531 | Holdingmaatschappij De Telegraaf NV |           |       |
|          | Basisweg   |                     | 30          |
|           | 1043 AP    | Amsterdam | 0800     | 0501             |
08000501    |
+--------------+-------------------------------------+-----------+-------+--
-----+----------+------------+---------------------+-------------+----------
------------+-----------+------------+-----------+----------+---------------
---+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

If you put an other query on the network a lot of records can be received by
the client:

mysql> select * from subscriber where AreaCode = '0598';

32799 rows in set (8.19 sec)

In my opinion the chat, AFS "file sharing method" are instances of the
"database share-ing method".

For instance name in telephone book = 'Bungalowpark het vette koe'

A separate table keywords in MySQL must be made with

keywords        recordnumber:

bungalowpark    1234
bungalowpark    34212
het                     1234
koe                     1234
vette                   1234

Searching on keyword gives the record(s) with contains the keyword.

The same thing can be done with

distribution name = 'windows 2000 professional'

keyword         recordnumber:

2000                    3223
professional    3223
windows         3223