Re: [GNUnet-developers] p2p 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'

From: Marcos Marado
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] p2p 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:55:25 +0100

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=31887625&forum_id=3774

As someone said in that discussion:

> Alot of the network libraries are made for
> World of Warcraft type games with huge numbers of
> players, but do not require fast responses to things
> such as collisions or spinouts. Different kinds of
> games need different types of libraries.

So, for your latency question, I would have to say that "it depends on what do
you want to do". See, there are really no implementation for it at the
moment, or something for us to test that. What we have is in GNUnet's roadmap
one application called "gnunet-chat", that does exactly that: swaps messages
between nodes. When that's built we'll be able to see the real latency
challange in GNUnet, but, otoh, we believe that gnunet-chat <will work>, and,
depending on what kind of stuff you're wanting to do, that can already be
enough. Most MMOG's send little more traffic than a simple chat system
does... Unless you try to use the network to send graphics data.

--
Marcos Marado
Sonaecom IT