Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-gtk weirdness and gnunet-setup segfault

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-gtk weirdness and gnunet-setup segfault
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 09:50:35 +0100

On 01/17/2016 05:28 PM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just built gnunet-gtk 0.10.1 with GNU Guix and noticed some problems.
>
> When running "gnunet-gtk" all I see is five big icons that I can click,
> but nothing else.  There seems to be something missing.

Hmm.  'gnunet-gtk' tries to internally start gnunet-fs-gtk,
gnunet-peerinfo-gtk, gnunet-statistics-gtk and other processes. If those
are somehow not installed/found, that would explain why 'gnunet-gtk'
looks as it does for you.

So first thing to check is to see if those are built/installed properly
(they should all also run standalone).

> “gnunet-setup” segfaults when I switch tabs after first clicking on the
> empty URL dropdown in the “General” tab.

Hmm. That shouldn't be empty in the first place, but this is also a
rather ancient (2 yo) version. I thought Andreas had packaged a much
more recent SVN version for GNU Guix. We have not had an URL dropdown in
the "General" tab for a while now...

Oh, wait. Maybe gnunet-gtk 0.10.1 was packaged against GNUnet (main)
from SVN HEAD?  That could cause all kinds of new and interesting fun.

> These are the only
> gnunet-related executables I have run so far.  I have not configured
> anything else.
>
> I passed these configure flags:
>
>     "--without-libunique", "--with-qrencode"
>
> At build time the following packages are available:
>
>     gnunet       0.10.1
>     libgcrypt    1.6.3
>     gtk+         3.18.2
>     libextractor 1.3
>     glade        3.18.3
>     libglade     2.6.4
>     qrencode     3.4.3
>     pkg-config   0.28
>
> I’m afraid I cannot provide debug information at the moment.

Sure, no need.  0.10.1 is old. But the real question is what the
specific repository version is?

What do you get for

$ gnunet-arm -v

vs.

$ gnunet-gtk -v

Ideally, they should show the same number (i.e. I get
gnunet-arm v0.10.1 svn-r36683M and gnunet-gtk v0.10.1 svn-r36683M).

I hope this helps a bit!

Christian