Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Question on "Rust implementation of GNUne

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] Question on "Rust implementation of GNUnet utils" project
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:45:12 +0100

Addendum: this is another key point why we got rid of pthread's in
GNUnet C, as deadlocks in a large code base can get both really nasty to
avoid or find/resolve.  So whatever you do on Rust, please use
concurrency constructions that are deadlock-free.  For example, a
reasonable subset of X10's concurrency abstractions (async, finish,
clocks, no 'when') is deadlock-free.  So if you find threads are
absolutely necessary (I tend to believe they are not), still make sure
you enforce deadlock-freedom by choice of concurrency primitives.

Refs:
http://grothoff.org/christian/x10.pdf
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bonachea/upc/x10-spaa07.pdf