Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on copyrights in gnURL / cURL

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] question on copyrights in gnURL / cURL
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:35:27 +0200

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 11:06, address@hidden said:
>>> don't see that you'd even have a right to require attribution, and you
>>
>> Who can take that away?
>
> My understanding of the GPL is that it allows arbitrary modifications,

Removing a Copyright notice is not an arbitrary modification but will in
court likey be interpreted as an act to conceal the authorship.  In fact
the GNU maintainer's gude as striuct requirement on how to handle this
attributaion,

> including removing author attributions. That's why the GFDL has
> invariant sections, which in turn has caused Debian to declare GFDL with
> invariant sections as non-free. So my interpretation is that if you

The invariant sections are in GFDL to make sure that certain parts of
the work can not be removed.  This has nothing to do with the copyright
notice.

[and sure invariant sections make works non-free]

> contribute to a project under GPL, you implicitly waive your right to
> require attribution because of the license. So it's not taken away, it's

No.  Please quote the section of the GPL which says this.  With such a
rule in the GPL the FSF would not need to get copyright assignments.

> Yep, but gnurl isn't GPL, it's license doesn't have that clause.  Also,

Okay, did not know.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner