Re: [GNUnet-developers] Troubleshooting CADET - expected connect times

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Troubleshooting CADET - expected connect times
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 23:49:05 +0100

On 12/14/2017 07:07 PM, peter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 05:42:45PM +0200, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>> 1) Yes, it is normal that peers that are running for longer should have
>> an easier time connecting to other peers via CADET. CADET takes time to
>> announce itself and to learn about the network. This effect is expected
>> and in fact documented in our paper(s) via measurements.
>
> Thanks. It does make sense to me that connecting gets faster the longer
> one stays on the network (due to a preference in serving those who
> serve me etc.), unfortunately I have not yet managed to find concrete
> numbers. Any link to such document would be greatly appreciated.

There is never going to be a simple answer, as the latency will
ultimately depend on many factors (overlay topology, network size, DHT,
network load).  Also, as to the current implementation, there is likely
a _ton_ of optimizations we can and should do to get the latency down.

So yes, you could measure (and we did, in the CADET paper), but the
results will likely differ once the code changes (hopefully for better,
but without good performance regression tests possibly for worse)