Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 21:25:41 +0100

Am 10.02.19 um 17:43 schrieb Christian Grothoff:

IMHO gnunet should be split into repos like this:

- framework ("core")
- applications
    - file sharing
    - conversation
    - reclaim
    - secushare

I would expect every developer working on one of the applications to
understand he/she needs to install the framework first. (This is much
like KDE is organized.)

Using a monorepo for all of this will lead to even more configure-flags,
a complex CI setup, ugly merges and complicated bi-secting.

> I wrote *good* package maintainers (those that
> put in the effort)

From a packages perspective: You are wasting my time! I have other
things to do but do split up you f*** package!

Seriously! When using a huge repo we are shifting the burden onto the
packager. If we provide smaller, reasonably sliced repos, this makes
packager's live much easier. TeXLive should be a warning for us, same as
the gockel's android tools.

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel