gnuschool-help

[Gnuschool-help] gnuschool add-on?

From: Charles Neufeld
Subject: [Gnuschool-help] gnuschool add-on?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:35:02 -0700

Greetings to you all.  Having always had an interest in the interface
between GNU software and its utility for public education, I wanted to
throw this "opportunity" out there to see if there may be any interest
in one of my projects that might piggy-back well with this
application.  Please feel free to chastize, redirect or
figuratively/literally blacklist me if I seem out-of-line with this...

I have a web-based application premised upon what appear to be
similar applications (e.g., LAMP) that involves mapping the complex
documentation and tracking procedures implemented for students
enrolled in public special education programs.  This application was
originally written by me and reviewed and revised by a much more
capable programmer than me.  One of his major concerns, since he is
the father of a son who received supportive services, was the
necessity of maintaining confidentiality involving privileged
information.  This was one of my primary concerns, too, as much of the
existing information and progress reporting was conducted using very
insecure processes, e.g., unencrypted school and district-level email
communications which were also frequently distributed to the outside
world (parents, related-service providers, etc.).

In any case, I would like to submit this application for consideration
as a GNU project, but would very much like to have someone from your
group, or someone from the larger community review what I have so far
and make any recommendations for enhancement.  I am doing my best to
develop an understanding of how the overall process works, but must
admit to being very much new to the entire process.  Any additional
information regarding how to proceed would be much appreciated and
again, I will redirect all of this in a more appropriate direction if
someone out there would be willing to assist.

Finally, the capacity for serving the greater good as it involves
public education (both general and special education) has always been
quite obvious to me.  Yet, I have also been very discouraged,
sometimes openly chastized by colleagues, district-level IT personnel
and others for promoting this cause.  It continues to challenge my
sensibilities that such a grand assortment of applications, supportive
communities and dedicated people has not made greater inroads into
this area.  When one as spent as much time as I have in public
education working to support multiple groups of often disenfranchised
and neglected students (not all of whom were classified as having
disabilities), this reluctance and ill-will seems even less
sensible...

So, for any of you interested in taking this 'application?' on, I
would happy to serve as its 'maintainer,' providing I am able to learn
what I need to learn to function effectively in this role.  In return,
I will serve in any capacity I can, now and in the future, to
dedicate some of my time to supporting any project which you feel
might benefit from my time, effort, and for now, limited understanding
of the processes and procedural efforts implicit in the GNU cause.

My very best regards,

Dr. Charles R. Neufeld

--
Charles "Chuck" Neufeld