gnuspeech-contact

Re: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Need help compiling GnuSpeech and Tube

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Need help compiling GnuSpeech and Tube
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:25:38 -0700 (PDT)

Robert,

--- Robert Hamilton <address@hidden> wrote:
> G.J.C.
>

> --- Gregory John Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> > Why exactly are you moving things and renaming things?
>
> I downloaded the CVS folders and files to an external drive on a Windows
> machine. I have StarBand, a satellite ISP that only works under Windoze,
> not Linux :-(

Ah, okay.

> I used the external drive to move the files between my Windoze and Linux
> machines. (No other way to do it.) So, I just copied the whole CVS
> directory structure from my external drive (which works with Linux, too)
> to the "home" directory on my RedHat machine. Question--should I have put
> the CVS folders somewhere else?  Keeping in mind your statement that "The
> build is heavily dependent on the location of files since some of the code
> is used in multiple places," where then do they actually belong?

I misinterpreted your original statement regarding copying of directories.  I
thought you were changing the location of the source directories.  If you're
only talking about the CVS folders, that shoulnd't impact the build.

> As to renaming the Gnu make files, I renamed them make because I didn't
> think gcc would recognise the make command in any other form. Sorry. I'm
> not well-experienced at building from source. How should I use the
> GNUmakefile(s)--just type "make" anyway?

Yes.  If you have GNUstep installed, they should work just fine.

> > Did you try to build it in the configuration it came to you with?
> >

> Now I'm going to sound like a real dummy here, but this last question of
> yours leaves me mumbling "duhhh!" to myself. Of what "configuration" do
> you speak? I outlined the exact procedure I used in my original post, but
> I'm just can't understand what you're asking me here.

The configuration that doesn't include changing the names of makefiles. :)
Have you tried simply tarring up the cvs checkout you did and untarring it on
the Linux box, then simply doing a build without making any changes?

> I HAVE built WindowMaker from source, and installed it successfully, but
> I'm lost this time around.
>
> If you would please indulge me, once again, I sure could use some further
> advice (other than "quit now while you're ahead.")

I would never advise you to quit. :)

I did a completely fresh/clean pull of the code from CVS yesterday evening
(after recieving your email) and built both tube and GnuSpeech without issues.
 All I did was a CVS checkout and a make in tube (in Tools), then a make in
GnuSpeech (under Applications).

Please try what we've discussed above and relate any errors to me and to the
list, if you like.   If others are having this issue, it needs to be resolved
quickly.

Thanks, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.