gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Thoughts on GNUSpeech and possible accessibility

From: Jason White
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Thoughts on GNUSpeech and possible accessibility applications
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:58:57 +1000

Marcelo Yassunori Matuda <address@hidden> wrote:
> GnuSpeech runs on Linux, but you  need to install GNUstep. The source
> is available at:
> svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/gnuspeech/gnustep/trunk

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Has the text to speech daemon been ported yet? The difficulty is that I
wouldn't be able to operate the interactive (graphical) environment using
either braille or speech, so what I really need is access from the shell.

> I may create a source package and send it to you.
> Which distribution do you use?

Debian Sid, with reasonably regular upgrades.

By way of background, I know C from having read K&R some years ago, but not
Objective-C. I don't have any background in complex analysis or digital signal
processing, but would like to study more mathematics at some point in the
future just for fun. Currently I am writing a Ph.D. thesis in contemporary
philosophy of language (i.e., foundational issues in analytic semantics). I
studied some phonetics as an undergraduate back in the early 90s, which may
help in these discussions, depending on how much I can remember.