gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Status of GnuSpeech

From: Kenneth Reid Beesley
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Status of GnuSpeech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 18:52:16 -0600

On 22Oct2010, at 15:46, David Hill wrote:

> Dear Ken,
>
> Apologies for the delay in replying to you email request.

Hello David,

Many thanks for your message.  No apologies are necessary.  As far as I know,
you don't owe anything to anyone---and certainly not to me.
About once a year I look around for a practical articulatory text-to-speech
toolkit, complete, supported, documented and ready to use.   I know that's
asking a lot.
From what I've been able to read, gunspeech looks very promising, so I launch
an inquiry from time to time.  I hope they come across as friendly inquiries.

> The project at present is not being actively developed. The last repository
> update was made approximately 11 months ago by Dalmazio Brisinda and included
> major upgrades to Monet and a newly completed component required (or at least
> very, very useful) for new language development -- "Synthesizer" which allows
> researchers to determine the acoustic consequences of arbitrary vocal tract
> configurations in the tube model (though the current "Synthesizer" is really
> a beta release and needs some code clean-up and a few additional features).
> There are a number of additional important "Monet" modules to be ported to
> manage posture, rule and transition editing. Unfortunately for you, the
> sub-modules that deal with developing these necessary new language data
> components within Monet are only stubs at present. Some help in continuing
> the port would be most welcome,though I realise that you represent an end
> user, and not a developer, so this is not really a call on you. [Anyone out
> there interested?]

Thanks for the update.  What kind of expertise do you need to continue
development?

> The existing code-base and software components are quite stable for both Mac
> OS X and GNUstep. Have you tried any of them out?
>
> Many thanks for your interest. I hope to have better news for you "real soon
> now".

I'm mostly a Mac guy, so I really should see how far I can get with the
existing system.  I'll try to do that as soon as I can.

Best,

Ken