gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Some indications about portability

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Some indications about portability
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:19:57 -0800

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for the two emails regarding gnuspeech, including the information about installing on a Debian system under GNUStep, and the useful links. Interesting that you had an undefined variable "false" in the "Synthesizer" compilation. Given that "Synthesizer" is basically a very initial version, I suppose I should be pleased there were not worse problems. The App still requires a fair amount of work -- graphs that are simply stubs and that sort of thing, uncontrolled creation of unused file handles until it crashes in certain conditions, and a lot of removal of redundant, unused code . But it does run correctly enough to give a feel for the tube model, and how the output varies as you vary the basic parameters. These things are on my "to do" list.

Please keep us in touch on how you make out with the various components. There's an official release of the software coming up soon so your input will be very useful.

Any good documentation concerning the compilation and use of the suite of software (Monet, Synthesizer, TTSServer, etc) under Debian GNU/Linux GNUStep would be of great interest.

You are probably aware that the whole system is still under development. Monet needs the editing stubs expanding so that it can again be used to develop the databases needed for different languages (the tools, such as Monet and Synthesizer, in the software suite, are what we used for the current databases that provide TextToSpeech for English). Marcelo Matuda did most of the port from the Mac version to the GNU/Linux version,but I haven't heard from him for a while.

There is a fair amount of documentation to provide understanding of the system. Please let me know if you have any questions.

If you have access to a NeXT system you can install the NeXT version of the TextToSpeech kit on that and see how the complete system works. It is useful for assisting in the port, since any aspect can be checked directly with a complete, bug-free (?) system.

All good wishes.

david
-------
David Hill
Project Administrator
--------
 The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable. (J.K. Galbraith)
--------