Re: bundlelisation of the backend

From: dejaeger
Subject: Re: bundlelisation of the backend
Date: 25 Mar 2001 01:10:36 +0100

NP> The ideal design is that the backend consists of twenty or thirty basic C
NP> functions (to map, unmap windows, manage events, set up graphic contexts,
NP> draw lines, copy images etc) which you need to implement.  The easier, the
NP> simpler the better.  Once you have done that for your platform, it just
NP> works.  It would be nice to make it really simple - pure C.  If we were
NP> able to reach that point, gnustep-gui would be quickly ported
NP> everywhere.

The language is a point we need to discuss. Anyway, gnustep can only
be ported to a platform where there exists an objective C compiler. So
it's not mandatory to have the backend written in C. Anyway, do we
really need the flexibility Objective C can give? It is more than
certain that a running application only needs a unique backend. So I
think it's useless to write functions like NSDrawButton as method of a
particular object. So I keep my first design: NSDrawButton (and
others) are now pointer to functions. I defined all those pointers in
a new header file: AppKit/GSBackend.h. I initialize those pointers
when the backend loads.

If you have any comment...