Re: Themes on GnuStep?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Themes on GnuStep?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:21:57 -0600

"Robert E. Hartley" wrote:

> If it ws possible to make use of Gtk+ type themes on GnuStep, it would
> make it easier to have a more homgeneous appearance between the apps,
> and in theory a PDA sized version of GnuStep could be created that would
> have the appropriate parts carefully "#ifdef"'ed out of the way, both to
> avoid theme'ed versions of the code (for those that consider sort of
> thing offensive), or conversely, to enable a smaller, theme'd only
> version.

You might want to look at the discuss-gnustep mail archives for a
discussion of this. Theoretically themes should work well in GNUstep
with very few design changes. I'd really like to see a well though-out
design for this - as I don't know much about themes myself, I can't
really comment more than that.

I'd really avoid #ifdefs. There should be a way to use userDefaults to
specify a theme, and have the code dynamically loaded in at runtime. The
speed hit in deciding between drawing with themes and without should be
trivial - ideally we would always use a theme, it's just that most of
the time it would be the 'standard' one.