Re: Themes on GnuStep?

From: Robert E. Hartley
Subject: Re: Themes on GnuStep?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:48:26 -0400

[Sorry if this is a duplicate. My connection blipped.]

Good point!

We would only be making the themes engine, not the themes themselves.

Since there are plenty of places where the Aqua theme can be found, we would
probably find it hard to stop them from using Apple like themes originally
developed for Gtk+ with our engine that would make their desktops look like
OS/X.

If we are not the originators of the Apple look alike theme, we ought to be
safe, since our goal is not to be a clone of Apple, but to get them to say
"Hey, GnuStep people, work with (for?) us while we incorporate your cool ideas
into our products, and change the world."

It would probably be cheaper for Apple to hire everyone that has contributed
more than 2 lines of code to GnuStep than it would be to sue each and everyone
of us, in the various countries we live in.

Apple seems to be on a buying spree lately, purchasing technologies that they
need quickly in order to incorporate them into OS/X.

If we avoid an adversarial attitude, they may see us as collaborators who share
the same dream.

Since they make most of their money on hardware, any software that takes people
away from MS Win might be seen as  a good thing.

If we are smart, they may help us out so that GnuStep on Linux/BSD could be the
de facto OpenStep environment for  non-Mac platforms.

Personally, I am keen to get GnuStep working on my iPAQ and NetWinder so that I
can have a Mac like environment on a PDA that is source code compatible with
OpenStep.  At the moment, it is a market area Apple has abandoned since they
shutdown the Newton project.

I think it is time it was explored again,

rob

"Mondragon, Ian" wrote:

> oh oh oh oh oh...my mistake....oops.  i gotcha now.  that would be kind of
> interresting.  then we could make GNUstep apps look like OS X apps (if we
> like cease and desist orders - <grin>)

=  Robert Hartley                 Mail:         201 Broadway        =
=  Central Region Systems Engineer              Cambridge, MA 02139 =
=  Integrated Computer            Email:        address@hidden    =
=  Solutions, Inc.                Web Site:     www.ics.com         =
=  Tech Support: address@hidden  Phone:        800-800-4271        =

Visit the MotifZone (www.motifzone.org) for info on Motif!