Re: gstep-make 1.2.0

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gstep-make 1.2.0
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:29:07 +0000 (GMT)

(talking about Additional makefiles ... helge is proposing that instead of
(and having each of them protected by a ifeq() for the appropriate combo
having been selected) we put them into subdirs, and gnustep-make will only
load the relevant ones basing on the library combo ... the library-combo
makefiles need not be any longer protected).

> What, if we would source the proper stuff by combo name ?
>
> Eg:
>   Makefiles
>     runtimes
>       gnu.make
>       co.make
>       nx.make
>     foundations
>       fd.make
>       gnu.make
>       co.make
>       nx.make
>     guis
>       gnu.make
>
> The makefiles itself shouldn't have *any* specific flags anymore, but
> only do
>
> include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/foundations/$(FOUNDATION_LIB).make
>
> This would be really flexible, but I'm not sure whether it would hurt
> performance ?

No problem with performance - it's pretty tempting ... :-)

We would still include all additional makefiles on the top level dir, but
library-combos makefiles would go into the subdirs ... much cleaner ...
yes quite pretty.

Anyone having any points against this suggestion ?

Helge is also proposing that we add a new library-combo element, `co', for
cocoa ... and use it for cocoa code instead of nx ...  so we would have
the library-combo co-co-co ... I'd like to always use long names and never
acronyms because we want a user friendly system :-) so I'd call it
cocoa-cocoa-cocoa or better apple-apple-apple.

Any comments on this proposal ?