Re: GNUstep make problem packaging a framework

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep make problem packaging a framework
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:03:27 +0100

On Mittwoch, Januar 23, 2002, at 06:40  Uhr, Mirko Viviani wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Helge Hess  wrote:

I still can't see the point in frameworks anyway (use either bundle or
library ...) ;-)

Well...

1. It's not a nightmare to port OpenStep/OSX frameworks to GNUstep. (Only write
   a makefile)

Well, that's a point for supporting frameworks in GNUstep, but not for frameworks as a concept themselves ;-)

2. Different versions of the same framework can coexist nicely. (not true
for libraries
   or bundles)

This is very true for libraries and because it works very well, it's widely used on any Unix system. This actually isn't true for MacOSX frameworks in practice - I've seen few frameworks actually using the versioning capabilities.

BTW: Just an idea: maybe we should support the library versioning for bundle executables too ? (eg mybundle.so.4.1.0)

3. We have spent time on it ! :-)

Valid point, let's spent further time on it ;-)

Greetings
  Helge