Re[4]: EOKeyValueCoding

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[4]: EOKeyValueCoding
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:55:39 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:27:10 +0100 Helge Hess <address@hidden> wrote:

 >| On Sonntag, Februar 24, 2002, at 06:38  Uhr, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
 >| > In Apple stuff, KVC are in EOF which is, AFAIK, only delivered as a
 >| > part of WebObjects.
 >|
 >| No. KVC is part of Apple Foundation for quite some time now. So no need
 >| to link GDL just for KVC ...
 >| > Putting KVC stuff in EOF force people to link with gdl2 just for KVC.
 >|
 >| KVC belongs into Foundation now (like NSClassDescription and NSNull)

You're right, I've finally found it in
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Java/Protocols/NSKeyValueCoding.html

 >| > Putting KVC stuff in base means that people wanted to use gsweb and
 >| > gdl2 with other foundations libraries can't (or need
 >| > to re-implement KVC)
 >|
 >| This isn't an issue any more. We should place a KVC implementation in
 >| FoundationExt if we want to support deprecated OS's like OPENSTEP.
 >| Indeed because KVC is part of Foundation it's much easier now, since you
 >| don't need to maintain runtime specific code in GDL :-)

I agree :-) on the last sentence but in this case, why putting "base KVC" in
FoundationExt an not base  ?

 >| > Putting KVC stuff in a distinct library (in which we could also put
 >| > NSString GNUstep additions and so on) allow this.
 >|
 >| We already have this library, FoundationExt/extensions, and with GNUstep
 >| back in 1998-something it was well maintained, because Ovidiu did port
 >| gstep-gui to several different Foundations. Personally I find it very
 >| unfortunate that the parts of GNUstep became so tightly coupled.

Using FoundationExt/extensions is OK for me.

 >| I think at FOSDEM we discussed the stuff shortly. If I understood
 >| Richard correct, he would like to create a stripped down gstep-base on
 >| other platforms, which IMHO is a nice idea. That is, if you have a
 >| library combo other than *-gnu-*, gstep-base is compiled without
 >| NSArray, NSString, etc, but only the GNUstep additions. You still link
 >| with gstep-base, but get no clashes with libFoundation,
 >| Foundation.framework or whatever :-)

Nice idea too but won't it be harder than to move GNUstep additions into
FoundationExt (I don't know, just a question
:-) ?

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998