Re: GSDisplayServer

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GSDisplayServer
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:22:27 +0100

Hi Adam,

I like that new interface, it makes things much more explicit. There is still one method I am missing:
- (NSRect) boundsForScreen: (int) screen;

This currently get done via DPScurrentwindowbounds() using the screen number as the window number. This may be ok for X, where we always have a root window, but even there I would prefer a specific method.

What is still a bit unclear to me is the relationship between a context and a display server. A graphics context for plotting does not know about a display, but one drawing to a window should. And may the same context be used for different display server, e.g in the case that a window move to a different screen. Or are all screens managed by the same display server?

Still as long as we have just the case of one display server everything is fine.

Cheers
Fred

PS: Did you have a look at that abstract non PostScript context and gsgstate classes I did send you. I think we should introduce them to GNUstep at the same time we add the display server.