Re: box system

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: box system
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:44:47 +0100

Hi Nicola,

great explanation. Of course the "width-expandable" thing can be easily discovered by trying out and indeed we only set the edges to be expandable. Sorry for mentioning otherwise.

So the following applies:

Nicola Pero wrote:
if the buttons do not expand (ie, if you set the buttons autoresizing mask
to NSViewMinXMargin | NSViewMaxXMargin, but no NSViewWidthSizable), then
the button should not overlap, and the distance should be constant in
time.

It is that way for some time, until the bug creeps in.

Normally, if you want to check for rounding errors, you should resize the
window a lot, then return it to the original size.  If the buttons return
to the original position, there should be no rounding error.  If on OS X
the buttons do *not* return to the original position, then well yes it's
not just a weak API which can't manage serious autoresizing ... it's also
a deadly broken implementation ... but I don't think it's that broken -
seriously, it can't be. :-)

It is. The effect is, that the buttons start "jumping around". For some time it works well (as you describe), but at some point (rounding error ?), the buttons are positioned totally wrong.

Anyway - I'm of course curious (I don't have a OS X to test) to know if
it's really broken or not. :-)

It is. Can you try on Richard's Powerbook ?

BTW: Is still don't understand why you don't override addSubview: for layout-containers since all subviews should be positioned by the container ? But I still have you read your other mail ;-) Eg that would do very nice with IB, since subviews dropped into a box would be autoresized :-)

Greetings
  Helge