Re: NSProcessInfo incompleteness

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: NSProcessInfo incompleteness
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:10:12 -0700 (PDT)

See below...

--- Marcus_Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
> And once again ...
> Just found out that
> - (unsigned int)operatingSystem;
> - (NSString *)operatingSystemName;
> are missing from NSProcessInfo. I'm not sure if they're part of the
> OPENSTEP spec, but they are part of OS X Server 1.x and OS X 10.0.x.
> While I never found the first method usable at all, the second is usable
> by socket servers that like to give away some info of the host system.
> IMO the latter could be implemented as easy as this:
> - (NSString *)operatingSystemName;
> {
>       NSString *env = [[NSProcessInfo processInfo] environment];
>       NSString *str = [env objectForKey: @"GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU"];
>       return str;
> }
> Probably with better error checking, although it'd be interesting what
> should be assumed as default if this info can't be found during
> runtime ... hm.
> Cheers,
>    Marcus

These two methods are not part of the OpenStep spec.   Since we are, however,
going for compatibility w/ MOSX I would recommend that they be implemented.
GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU returns the architechture, not the OS.  I believe you meant
GNUSTEP_HOST_OS.  Even that, however, may not be sufficient...

If you look at:

You'll see that the operatingSystem method you mention returns one of the
following constants:

The operatingSystemName method returns a string corresponding to one of the
above.  For Linux we will likely need to add a GNUstep specific constant.
Probably something like "GSLinuxOperatingSystem".   We can, of course, use the
value returned by GNUSTEP_HOST_OS to determine which of these constants to

Gregory John Casamento
Please sign the petition against software patents at:

Do You Yahoo!?