Re: Display server and window interaction

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Display server and window interaction
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:40:12 -0600

Fred Kiefer wrote:
With the new split of the back end functionality a new class GSDisplayServer was introduced. As we may in principle have a lot of those, we must find the correct one for a given window, before we send it any window operation. This happens mostly in the NSWindow.m file and

I'd actually argue to opposite. There are very few, if any, reasons to have more than one display server per application. Perhaps a groupware application might find this useful (although having a non-graphic server talking to separate GUI frontends via DO would probably work better).
OSX and OpenStep don't even have a provision for this.

I think I should just make GSDisplayServer a singleton and have a static variable "GSApplicationDisplayServer" hold the id to it.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you