Re: gworkspace build error

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gworkspace build error
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:27:09 +0100 (BST)

> > > So it seems that gworkspace tries to write into the gnustep user
> > > dir during the build. Is this special to gworkspace, or a bug/feature
> > > in gnustep-make? How can I avoid it?
> >
> > Good question.
> >
> > Maybe you can change the location of the user defaults in the restricted
> > environment during the build (it should be possible by adding a .GNUsteprc
> > in the user dir, or if you can't add a file in your home dir, by adding a
> > .GNUsteprc in the GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT).
>
> confused. the only place I am able to write is the builddir. So do I
> have to set GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT to the builddir? GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT is
> set, and is read only for me.

Do you mean you can't write in your own dir ? :-(

Anyway - here is a short explanation of how the location of the defaults
is chosen.

The library will look for a .GNUsteprc file inside GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT,
and read that.  A .GNUsteprc file is supposed to contain stuff like

GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=~/GNUstep
GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_ROOT=~/GNUstepDefaults

(the paths on the right hand side must be either absolute, or starting
with ~, so that they can be expanded for any user easily and uniquely).

Then, it will read a .GNUsteprc file inside the user's home dir (which
should override the system one [btw I'm not sure if overriding works in
the current implementation]); this can contain the same options.

So, if you want to have your user defaults somewhere else on disk during
the build (presumably a directory which you can write to), you need to add
a .GNUsteprc file in your user dir to redirect defaults somewhere you can
read/write.

If you can't do this, well we could try to add more flexibility ... such
as specifying a .GNUsteprc file to use for that run in an environment
variable, or a command line option ... but we need to think a bit to make
sure we understand what your needs are, and that we are not adding
ill-defined options.