Re[4]: GDL2 on MacOS X

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[4]: GDL2 on MacOS X
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:21:23 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:33:42 +0100 Stéphane Corthésy <address@hidden> wrote:
 >| On Thursday, Nov 21, 2002, at 12:06 Europe/Zurich, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
 >| >
 >| > I don't see how GDL2 could avoid garbage colection or similar
 >| > mechanism.
 >| >  See http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/gdl_2.html
 >| >      (Resolving cycles within your model. A garbage collector)
 >|

 >| NeXT solved the problem, didn't they?
 >| If you have an EOObject registered in an EOEditingContext, it may/will
 >| have retain-cycles, due to relationships between EOs, and when you
 >| unregister the object from the EC (when the EC is itself dealloc'ed, or
 >| the object is refaulted), then the object shall clear its EOProperties,
 >| i.e. all EORelationships of the object shall be set to nil, thus
 >| breaking retain-cycles. See -[NSObject(EOClassDescription)
 >| clearProperties]. Wouldn't it be enough?

There's also EOModel, EOEntities, EOErelationships, EOAttributes,... objects.
Many of
them have references on other objects (see EOEntity/EORelationship for exemple).
I'm not an expert about this, we've mainly used/followed previous gdl version
management for these objects.
If there's a prouved-to-work solution, I'll be happy to switch.

BTW, about gdl2 on MacOSX, isn't it possible to use GNUstep extensions (GC
clases) ?

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998