Re: GDL2 on Mac OS X, stage two

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: GDL2 on Mac OS X, stage two
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:23:15 -0000

Markus Hitter <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Here's what I did:

Just a couple of things ! :-)

> - Disabled all source files for all frameworks except the PostgreSQL
> Adaptor. Then, added subsequently source files as needed to fill in the
> linking failures.

Why you did this ? I know there is some header incompatibilities with the
two foundations and the compilers (at least with 2.95) but resolved these
problems it should be quite ok.

> - Commented out some of the debugging code since it wouldn't even
> compile.

Precisely, which one ?

> - As nobody could confirm the actual need of Garbage Collection (sample
> code anybody?), I disabled all the GC stuff after half-fixing it. To be
> ported in the future ... From what I've seen in the source, there is no
> functional difference to the Autorelease stuff. Maybe I'm blind, maybe
> I really need an example to understand it.

It does not work in the same way but to take advantage of it your EOs should
inherith from GCObject.

> If you want to confirm/look yourself/extract patches, look at
> http://www.jump-ing.de/, then click "Projekte", then "GDL2" or directly
> http://www.jump-ing.de/proj/files/Buchhaltung.tar.gz (Not sure wether
> the latter works).
>
> There's no binary since an App with hardcoded user names isn't that
> useful, is it?

Thanks, I'll look at it in the next days.

> P.S.: The future? Get more in sync with the original sources. Any
> suggestions on how to do that?

Hmmm... we could add double makefiles (gstep/osx) for the various frameworks,
remove the circular dependencies from EOAccess/EOControl... then send patches
!!!! :-))

--
Ciao
Mirko