Re: RFC: Framework support in -make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: RFC: Framework support in -make
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:28:00 +0100 (BST)

> >> Except for GNUstep, it's exceedingly rare for a package to use either
> >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH *or* ld.so.conf -- because unlike with GNUstep, the
> >> libraries are almost always installed into the standard locations.
> >>
> >> ld.so.conf is off-limits to packagers, as is LD_LIBRARY_PATH to most of
> >> them.
> >
> > I'm not convinced - when I install an RPM, most of the times, they run
> > ldconfig.  They don't usually edit ld.so.conf, I agree, because they put
> > all libs in standard directories.
> >
> > But GNUstep just needs to add a few lines to ld.so.conf when the first
> > package (gnustep-make I suppose) is installed - all later packages need
> > only do the same as any other binary package: just run ldconfig, because
> > everything is installed into GNUstep's standard locations, which are in
> > ld.so.conf anyway.
> >

> What about user library/framework directories? At this time you need
> to add two lines for each user to the ld.so.conf (besides four lines for
> gnustep installation) to make user-domain frameworks and libraries work:
>
> user_home/Library/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu
> user_home/Library/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu

Good point - but you need those in LD_LIBRARY_PATH only if you install
libraries/frameworks in there; in which case, yes, you need to set your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. :-)

You shouldn't add them in ld.so.conf because other users won't use your
libraries from there ... they will not be able to read them.

But normally RPM do not install stuff in your own home directory - they
install systemwide! :-)

If you compare with other binary packages, they never install a library in
your own home directory.  They install it in /usr/lib.  If - very unlikely
- but if you install a shared library in your home directory, they would
ask you to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it can be found, exactly as GNUstep
does.

> UsualIy users do not have permissions to edit the ld.co.conf file,
> neither to run ldconfig. And I doubt that sysadmins will agree on adding
> user directories into global list. I think that this is a reason, why
> ld.so.conf and ldconfig should not be used.

It's a good reason - actually a definitive reason - not to use it for
libraries/frameworks installed in your home directory - LD_LIBRARY_PATH
must be used in that case.

It's not a good reason not to use it for libraries/frameworks installed in
systemwide/standard installation directories - in that case they make
perfectly sense.