Window handling in -back

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Window handling in -back
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:01:06 -0700

Hi,

FWIW...

I've been playing with different window managers again and stumbled upon
a weird problem with two in particular, mwm and ol(v)wm. Granted, those
two can probably be considered outdated, but maybe this is of interest
nevertheless.

The first file, 'root' is the xwininfo(1) of my root window. As you can
see, I'm running at a resolution of 1600x1200.

The other two files, 'olwm' and 'mwm' contain three xwininfo(1) entries,
the first was taken from Ink -> New Document, the second is Terminal and
the third is a plain xterm.
What I did was to use each window manager's maximize window option.

As you can see, the two GNUstep applications are WAAAAY off, resulting
in LOTS of XShm memory errors bringing the whole machine to a crawl...

I tried the same with several other WMs, including BlackBox and
AfterStep, and neither of these show the same behaviour.

As I said, probably no one is still using mwm and/or ol(v)wm, but I
thought I'd pass this on anyway...

--
Chris