Re: can't use @protocol in +load

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: can't use @protocol in +load
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:53:39 +0200

Jeremy Bettis wrote:

Ok, I am replying to my own message.

There is a problem in gcc's @protocol handling.

The runtime has no information about protocols which are referenced by code
but not by classes in that module.
[snip]

I'd like to change gcc to use a symtab like NeXT's.  I know I am going to
have to patch both gcc and libobjc, which will be painful, where do I send
those patches where I can get some reasonable hope of them being accepted?
Hi Jeremy,

I've only had a quick glance at this but do not have enough insight to understand it yet. But my current interpretation is that you can currently only rely on the protocols the receiver declares being initialized during +load. You can file a bug report for it here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/

for libobjc or objc.
Good luck!

Cheers,