Seeking adive, comment, warnings, etc on a new backend

From: cehardin
Subject: Seeking adive, comment, warnings, etc on a new backend
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:00:35 -1000

I'd like to make a new backend for gnustep which uses DirectFB.

My plan is to use win32 and winlib as a template, since they seem more straightforward than X11 and xlib. Is this is a good idea?

Before I venture off into this creation does anyone have any tips, warnings, comments? i don't like rushing into something and end up doing it wrong. I have been reading the source code in gnustep-back and have learned quite a bit already. But it's always a good idea to ask for advice.

BTW, DirectFB is a bit different than X11. For one, there is no such thing as a "window server". the apps cooperate with each other through the use of a kernel module called fusion to draw to the screen and receive input. Second, there is no concept of a window manager. This would mean that the window decoration and management code would have to be in the back-end, is that even feasible at this point in time?

Thanks for the help,

Chad