stripping makefiles

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: stripping makefiles
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:19:49 +0200

Nicola Pero writes:
> Between other new features and things I'm implementing in gnustep-make,
> I've experimented with stripping the makefiles after installation.
>
> 'Stripping' means you delete all comments and empty lines - the resulting
> makefiles execute faster because make has less data to read and parse.
>
> How much faster depends on the hardware and caching systems available I
> suppose, on my machine I get approximately a 5% faster gnustep-make, which
> means around 1 second when running through my company's source tree (when
> already built), which takes around 18 seconds at the moment.
>
> Stripping does make makefiles difficult to read of course - my idea was to
> install two copies of the makefiles - one stripped for execution, and the
> other one unused but unstripped so that anyone can still read the source
> code and hopefully understand how it works.
>
> So my plan would be to make stripped makefiles the default, but still
> include the whole unstripped makefiles in a separate directory (say,
> Library/Makefiles/Source).  But I don't have a strong opinion, as the
> performance gain is big.  Comments ?

That's  ridiculous.  You're saving  ONE second  when there  is nothing
else to do than to parse the  Makefile, on a 18 seconds run.  When you
have  to compile  everything, you'll  be saving  ONE second  over  a 5
minute or a  quarter hour run.  I can't understand  why I'm wasting my
time to type this...

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/