NSUser and paths generally

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: NSUser and paths generally
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:50:30 +0800

It seems that NSUser.m was originally created by Andrew McCallum for a new
class that handled login related functions.

However, it mainly contains the functions from "NSPathUtilities.h". I propose
moving those functions to a new file "NSPathUtilities.m" where they would
seem more at home.

I also propose making some modifications to the path handling routines:
* Initialise the various root directories from a plist in /etc/GNUstep if it
exists, over-riding environment variables. This will allow system
administrators to enforce system file heirarchy policy.
It'll also mean that, on such systems, you don't need to source GNUstep.sh!
* Add support for traditional locations for applications and libraries:
    NSApplicationDirectory   /bin /usr/bin
    GSLibrariesDirectory      /lib  /usr/lib
    NSAdminApplications    /sbin /usr/bin
These will be last in the returned array.
* Extend support for more parts of the heirarchy like:
    Fonts, Palattes, ColorPanels, Services, etc

What I wish to work towards is making GNUstep highly path layout agnostic and
consolidate it's file dependancies.

This will ease packaging GNUstep for different platforms. I'm particularly
thinking of Win32 but Debian will also benefit quite immediately. Other
things to be done along these lines is extending the defaults system to allow
for installation defaults. This would allow a system administrator to set up
an environment for all users quite easily.