Re: Problem with +numberWithBool: ?

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Problem with +numberWithBool: ?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:45:05 +0100

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Nicola Pero wrote:

It isn't an implementation detail since it means that BOOL isn't a true
boolean type. Compare this with c99's _Bool, which is a true boolean
type:

It's nice you mention the c99's boolean type; I suppose it would make
sense to try have BOOL as compatible as possible with the c99's bool type,
hoping that at some point they will be merged.

I disagree. BOOL isn't a true boolean, and should remain that way. Those

Now *this* seems strange to me. IMHO it is wrong to use BOOL as something else than a boolean, just because the implementation does not prevent such "misuse".

In fact I'd say it woul be a GoodThing to change the implementation to be more strict in this respect.

who want to use _Bool in their own code can just go ahead and do that
(it'll interoperate just fine with BOOL).

But this would lead to really strange code...

Just my SFr. 0.02 :-)

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert