Re: [patch] colors

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: [patch] colors
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 02:21:20 +0200

Le 20 mai 04, à 19:34, Nicolas Roard a écrit :

Here is some patches for -gui...

The patches introduces more unity in the way the widgets are drawn which is a nice improvement.

I just added a method in GSDrawFunctions for "dark" buttons border (like in tableviews), and replaced the remaining calls to NSDraw* functions in gui. I also changed the hideous blue of the progress bar to NSColor controlShadowColor -- not perfect but at least it's now consistent with the rest of the gui.

Well, NSProgressIndicator needs to be improved… may be I will take some times to do that.

It would be interesting to add a few new color names ... (eg, color names for the progress bar, for the background of "list" widgets, for the toolbar background...)

I agree on that. I have already added an extra color list support in the toolbar implementation which relies on a file called "/Library/Colors/System extensions" and added also an NSColor category to support extra method like +toolbarStandardBackgroundColor. I think we can move this stuff out of the toolbar implementation in a special file like NSColor+Extensions.m to standardize the things a bit without shaking the openstep/cocoa specification.

<patch-colors>

Now -gui is fairly configurable with colors; the only remaining problems are the use of images for the checkbox, sliders and tabviews, which are then not in sync with the rest of the colormap.

I think it will be perhaps too much cpu intensive (with difficult coding process) to draw complex parts of the controls "by hand", then it's probably better to stick to such images however it would be nice to implement the possibility to draw everything "by hand" in the case some themes very simplistic would be created. In the case, we stick to such images, we must know that customizing these hard coded images will be the job of the theme engine.

bye,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé