Re: GC ( Was: Re: ObjectiveC accessors)

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GC ( Was: Re: ObjectiveC accessors)
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 14:06:03 +0200

On May 30, 2004, at 13:25, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
What are the problems with the GC (... that can not be solved)?

Actually some years back we were actively using GC (with libFoundation, not gstep-base), but we "switched back" to RC for basically two reasons: a) platform dependency of the GC implementation - eg back then there was no working BoehmGC for MacOSX/Rhapsody, and do not bother to ask for even more exotic things
   like Linux on S/390 or AS/400 ;-)
b) code which relies on GC doesn't work with RC only Foundation libraries, like Apple/NeXT Foundation (you _can_ write code which works with both, but this is
   basically code which supports RC, so no real gain after all)

I think that the issue "a)" might be removed over the time, especially because gcj also uses BoehmGC which is now part of gcc - if I'm not completely mistaken ;-)

Besides those major issues BoehmGC libFoundation was actually great and very fast (faster than RC, probably due to removal of all the RC messaging overhead) for our cases. (BTW: GDL was also modified to work with GC back then, not sure whether GDL2 still has those hooks).

Notably libFoundation also supported a mode "GC debug" which is, use regular RC all over the code and use the GC to tell you about memory leaks, quite useful.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/