Re: Once more cross compilation

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Once more cross compilation
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:37:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Nicola Pero wrote:
> Btw, if you are using HOST=arm, then why not using BUILD=arm as well?
>
> To use gnustep-make on arm (which is what HOST=arm means), you need a
> plethora of tools, including make, shells, compilers. linkers.  At which
> point you might as well build it directly on arm (BUILD=arm), since those
> tools are exactly what you need to build it.

That's the point of crosscompilation. You use a system (e.g. desktop with
x86) for development to compile code for another architecture which lacks
a convenient way to do development on (like an embedded system or a
handheld with ARM, or Windows for that matter if you happen to prefer
using Unix :-). Of course you need the whole toolchain compiled with the
appropriate TARGET or --target for this.

> If you are cross compiling with BUILD, HOST and TARGET, you would build
> gnustep-make on BUILD, configured to run on HOST (which might or might not
> be the same as BUILD), configured to compile stuff for TARGET (which might
> or might not be the same as HOST).
>
> Then, the libobjc flags should be the ones required by the compiler on
> HOST to produce ObjC stuff for TARGET.  The which_lib.c executables should
> be compiled to run on HOST (which might be different from the local BUILD
> system).  All look ups in makefiles etc looking for scripts or tools used
> to build should be done so that they run on HOST, because you are supposed
> to run gnustep-make on HOST.
>
> BUILD is only used while doing a ./configure or make/make install of
> gnustep-make itself, and never again; when you run gnustep-make, that will
> happen on HOST (by definition of BUILD and HOST) -- after you have
> manually (presumably) copied the gnustep-make installation from BUILD onto
> HOST.

What if I compile gnustep-make with HOST=x86, TARGET=arm and try to
crosscompile another package with it. Then I should compile the other
package with HOST=arm. Does this conflict with the usage of this variable
in gnustep-make?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan