Marketing (Was: Re: New developers and publicity)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Marketing (Was: Re: New developers and publicity)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:34:14 +0200

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 15:37, Dennis Leeuw wrote:
> > It is just small observation to let you know how it is with the project. I
> > can
> > not call my self core gnustep developer as i did not too much compared to
> > others who deserve that title. Therefore I would like to ask, whether some
> > of
> > core developers can give a bit attention to this issue and from time to time
> > initiate a publicity action?
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> As you indicated time is the scarce source here. So I think core
> developers should be that... core developers.

Right.

> Might be a good idea to shape up some documents that are floating
> around. Create a 1.0 release document (I have been working on that, but
> never got time to actually finish it).

Can you publish what is already done? Or can you put it somehow in the
wiki so it can be completed there?

> Next to that it might be a good idea to start a "marketing" group and
> decide what we want and how we gonna accomplish that. That way we can
> devide the work.

Adam, what do you, as the project leader, think about the idea from last
paragraph? I think it is good idea.

Perhaps on discuss-gnustep/gnustep-apps/gnustep-info we can find people
who:
- know more about marketing
- have good/better writing skills
- maintain news sites
... or at least there are people who know someone who does.

Please, do not be affraid of new people as do not be affraid that they
will spoil gnustep. Sure, newbies will not know about internals, but
they will learn. They can learn if they are allowed to learn, to look at
the code, to touch it and to write it. Documentation is not enough
regardless how good it is. You will learn it best if you try it. Noone
is perfect.

To quote Nicloas Roard (rIO on #gnustep): "frankly, if we don't attract
people, we could as well stop working on gnustep now.". And i agree with
him.

I haveinvested too much time for projects that use GNUstep and I would
like to continue on them if it will be possible. However, I want to be
sure, that the foundation for my projects is live not just surviving.

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi