Re: Icon Licensing... (Suggestion: Artistic License 2.0)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Icon Licensing... (Suggestion: Artistic License 2.0)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:22:07 -0800

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
Quentin,

--- Quentin Mathé <address@hidden> wrote:

Le 5 nov. 04, à 14:40, Gregory John Casamento a écrit :

All,

Have we made any decision or come to any conclusion on what license we're going to use for the icons? Last I heard there were concerns and objections to using the suggested "Art" license and it's compatibility with the GPL/LGPL.

I think we will use MIT/X11 license or model our license on it, I'm currently talking with Jasper Hauser about that.

Has the use of the MIT/X11 licenses been cleared with the FSF, since these will
be included in GNUstep?   Also, I have yet to read any kind of explaination as
to why the GPL/LGPL is not being considered given that our current set of icons
is under it, I don't see a problem with putting this set of icons under it.

I do know that the MIT/X11 license is GPL-compatible so it's probably not that
bug a deal, but it's less confusing, IMHO, to have everything under one
license.

There's a list of FSF-approved, copyleft and free licenses at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html . As another possible license for our icons, the Artistic License 2.0 is free *AND* copyleft, and might be more appropriate for icons...see http://dev.perl.org/rfc/346.html for more info.

Slightly
better might be to have Jasper Hauser assign copyright to whoever pays for the icons and have that person commit them to GNUstep under whatever license we
agree on.

Well I don't see why it would be slightly better… ?
I don't think Jasper will agree to let the copyright to someone else except GNUstep project itself (which doesn't exist legally I think), I understand him on this point. I must said myself I always found dubious to have a copyright holder which is not the author or the entity (company, project or whatever) which is the immediate recipient of the creation (I know it's recurrent practice in the US).

yet another reason to have a GNUstep Foundation, IMHO. It would be a legal entity that copyright could be signed over to if they didn't want to sign it over to the FSF.

You are correct GNUstep isn't a legal entity, it's a project of the FSF, the
FSF owns the copyright to GNUstep and *IS* a legal entity.  It is possible for
him to assign the copyright to the FSF via an assignment. This would address
any concerns about assigning it to an individual. Does he have any reservations about the GPL/LGPL?

Yes, does he?