Re: widget layout descriptions - where?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: widget layout descriptions - where?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:55:45 -0500

On Nov 18, 2004, at 10:15 AM, John Bleichert wrote:
Where are the widget layouts defined in a GNUstep application? I was having a hard time figuring out some of the layout options in the objc code, so decided to throw an app together in gorm/pc real quick to look at the resulting source code and can't find it. Is it possible to completely specify a GNUstep application interface in objc files in a text editor? Yes, I realize this is probably the more difficult way to go about it.

You can't find the code because it doesn't exist! Gorm sets up the interface using ObjC calls then writes out the objects themselves in a binary archive format. But of course it is possible to do such setup "manually" in Objective-C. Others will be able to advise you here better than I, but for example there are various methods in NSView and NSMatrix relating to this. I'm pretty sure there are tutorials out there, either from Apple or otherwise.

Also, for GNUstep there is a middle ground approach between Gorm and manual ObjC in which you write XML describing the interface -- see http://www.gnustep.it/Renaissance/

Most current apps use a combination of Gorm with some manual specification.