Re[4]: additional methods in NSMutableString

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[4]: additional methods in NSMutableString
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:03:49 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:41:55 +0000 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>
wrote:

 >| On 4 Jan 2005, at 19:46, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
 >| > Do yu want to implement it or do i do it ? In which file ?
 >| >
 >| Very busy ... not sure when I could do it, so perhaps you should do it.
 >| I'd suggest base/Source/Additions/GSCategories.m (though for
 >| performance,
 >| additional implementations in base/Source/GSString.m might be
 >| worthwhile).

OK. I work on it.
Some thoughts about implementation:

o is it normal that in -stringByAppendingPathExtension:, we don't care about
trailing / when aString is nil or empty ?

o about performances, is it better to do a
                [self appendFormat:@".@",aString];
        or a
                [self appendString:@"."];
                [self appendString:aString];

o in -pathExtension doesn't it time consuming to call -characterAtIndex: ?

o will it be possible to add a method in NSMutableString like this:
-setCharacters:length: which will replace string
content by characters (and same thing for a C string) or is it too complex ? It
will enable to put back unichar buffer
without creating a temporary string. May be a -
replaceCharactersInRange:withCharacters:length: would be great too :-)

o should I duplicate NSString.m inline static BOOL pathSepMember(unichar c) and
pathSeps() or declare it in a (private
?) include file ?

Thx.

Manuel