Re: Release 1.0 and checklist: this deserves your attention.

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Release 1.0 and checklist: this deserves your attention.
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:37:33 +0100

Le 24 févr. 05, à 14:00, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :

I think the context was an attempt to simplify things for end users by establishing an
overarching version for the whole 'system'.

Frederic Stark raised the question of what is in 'GNUstep 1.0' ...

I'm also not clear what the 'system' is supposed to be ... certainly at least the core.
Possibly including applicationss as well.

I so no reason why 'GNUstep 1.0' should not consist of -
gnustep-make-1.10
gnustep-base-1.11
gnustep-gui-0.9.6
gnustep-back-0.9.5
Gorm-?.?
ProjectCenter-?.?
etc

I guess it's whatever can be made good/workable as a package ...
At present, my feeling is it would need to consist of all the core,
plus Gorm and probably GWorkspace and also the applications
from backbone (Terminal etc) with a little polishing.

For me GNUstep 1.0 release should be no more than make, base, gui and back (it could include Camaelon too). … then we could have GNUstep Development Environment 1.0 which would packages Gorm, ProjectCenter, EasyDiff and few other dev oriented utility applications like a profiling and memory checking applications. … and we could have GNUstep "Micro desktop environment" 1.0 which would package GWorkspace and few other essential desktop oriented frameworks like AddressBook, IconKit etc

I don't think parts of Backbone should be used, otherwise Backbone project has no real interest by itself because it would became more or less part of GNUstep. (… And as everybody loves to say : GNUstep is not a desktop environment he :-)

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
address@hidden